Transplanting to Hydroponics: Sili Labuyo Alive and Dead

We transplanted 2 Sili Labuyo Seedlings (Bird’s Eye Chili) on September 25, 2013 and I get to check them out yesterday (September 30, 2013). So 5 days after one of them is dead and the other is still alive.

The Alive One

The Alive Sili Labuyo after transplanting to Hydroponics
The Alive Sili Labuyo after transplanting to Hydroponics

I was very happy that at least one is alive after 5 days of transplanting. The leaves are now greener and healthier. The roots have also added in their number. It just feels great to do something succesful.

The roots have increased their numbers.
The roots have increased their numbers.

What we did when we transplanted this 5 days before was we placed it on plain water that we get from our faucet. We did not add anything to it.

We also made sure that the water level is about 1.5 inches away from the base of the plant or where the roots starts to appear. This is for some of the roots to breathe air and some would be submerged in the water to collect nutrients.

There were parts of the leaves that were damaged before and it has now recovered.
There were parts of the leaves that were damaged before and it has now recovered.

What did we do after we know it was alive? Normi tried to experiment on two pechay seedlings and transplented them to hydroponics but his water was made of Vermi Tea. The pechay seedlings were doing good that’s why we replaced the water of the Alive Sili Labuyo Seedlings and added Vermi Tea to the mixture.

I’m not really sure what we did was right or wrong. We’ll know once I get to see them again. Hopefully, by tomorrow.

The Dead One

I think I’ve made an emotional attachment to this plant as I was dismayed by seeing that one of our Sili Labuyo Seedlings were dead.

What may have caused the death of this Sili Labuyo Seedling?

There are a number of things that we did when we transplanted this seedlings. One of which was that I added a pinch of 14-14-14 Fertilizer to its solution. I did mix the solution well and dissolving it on a small amount of water before further adding water to it. But there was an increase on the number of roots on the water solution. So maybe it died of other causes.

There was an increase on the number of roots on the dead seedling
There was an increase on the number of roots on the dead seedling

It may also be possible that the strong rains may have added to the water level and drowned the plant. As the water levels on the plant has increase.

Water level also increased.
Water level also increased. Moved the cloth covering it.

One thing though is for sure. We have to solve our rain water problem as we’re doing a Kratky Method of Hydroponics.

Below are some pictures of the roots and the stem. If you happen to know the reason why it died from the looks of the stem and roots please tell us that I may learn faster.

I removed some of the pebbles for me to see the roots.
I removed some of the pebbles for me to see the roots.
The stem of the dead Sili Labuyo Seedling
The stem of the dead Sili Labuyo Seedling

We’ve already removed the Sili Labuyo Seedling and have replaced it with another Sili Labuyo Seedling. This time we tried doing it on vermi tea without adding checmical fertilizer. We’re still hoping for the best.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *